After converting almost 16 000 MP3s to a lower bit-rate using TAudioConverter, I realized I forgot to check off “add encoder suffix to created folders”.
This resulted in hundreds of folders with “_Lame” tacked on to the end of each folder name.
I started picturing renaming them all by hand and decided to search out something that could do it for me.
Google brought me to http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk and the Bulk Rename Utility. The name isn’t very imaginative, but it’s free and it worked perfectly. It only took a second or two once I figured out the interface, which isn’t exactly clean.
My only complaint is that the logging function doesn’t appear to work. I thought it was a permissions issue, but moving it to a non-system folder didn’t make a difference. I used the Portable version if that makes a difference.